Automatic Lyric Importer

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Are there plans that will automatically import the discovered lyrics into iTunes?

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2010 at 3:46 PM
Edited Mar 30, 2010 at 4:23 AM

Lyrics are actually embedded within the music files themselves.  All music file formats supported by iTunes, .aac, .mp3, .wav, etc,. have the ability to store extra metadata as part of the file; lyrics is considered metadata.  When iTuner retrieves lyrics, it uses the iTunes COM API to store lyrics in the current track; iTunes in turn embeds the lyrics in the track media file.

Note that, while I retrieve the lyrics once a track begins playback, I purposely do not store the lyrics in the media file until after you switch to another track.  This avoids a 1/4 second pause in playback while iTunes updates the media file; by waiting until after you switch to another track, you'll never notice the background processing.

For those that are not familiar with iTunes lyrics, iTunes makes it rather difficult to find the lyrics for a track.  It's hidden in the Track Properties dialog shown by right-clicking a track and selecting "Get Info".  This is the main reason I put a Lyrics button directly on the main page of iTuner.