Option to disable automatic processing of action?

May 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM
I have not run the duplicate finder, even though i know i will have some (many) duplicates, because I'm not sure how it works to decide which song to keep. Also, if there was an option to set it to automatically find and move the dups, or pop up a small confirmation box, that would be great. The hardest thing i have found about getting used to this amazing helper app is that everything is automatic, I'm used to having options and pages of settings to look at ;)
Coordinator
May 1, 2010 at 1:27 PM
Edited May 1, 2010 at 1:30 PM

There are two events that will start a background scanner.  First, you can invoke each explicitly from the context menu.  Second, whenever a track is played from an album that has not yet been visited during the current iTuner session, that album alone is scanned for dead tracks and duplicates.

Background scanners can be disabled using the .NET application configuration file.  You'll find this file in the iTuner installation directory, such as C:\Program Files (x86)\River Software\iTuner.  The configuration file is named iTuner.exe.config.  It's a simple text file containing XML that you can edit using Windows Notepad.

There are four lines commented out, which means that the scanners are enabled.  You can disable each scanner by uncommenting that line and setting the value to "False".  Or enabled an individual scanner by setting its value to "True".

The production release of iTuner 1.2 will have a UI that allows you to set these easily.  I'll also provide more help on what each does and how it works.

Coordinator
May 1, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I also want to mention that the iTuner will never delete anything from your hard drive.  When the Duplicate scanner identifies a duplicate track (for example of a lower bit-rate) it moves it to an archive location.  This is explained in the online User Guide on this site.

May 1, 2010 at 1:36 PM
Steven, I read that in the user-guide, i was just wondering how the duplicate scnaner prioritized which tracks to keep. for instance, if i have the same song on: cd single, circa 2004 orginal cd, circa 2005 compilation cd, circa 2005 greatest hits cd, circa 2010 and all are the same bitrate, etc, would it keep the newest? oldest? etc
Coordinator
May 1, 2010 at 3:18 PM
Edited May 1, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Algorithm:

• If the title, artist, and album are the same then...
  • If the Duration is not the same (otherwise they're not duplicates!) ...
  • If Bitrate is different then choose higher
  • else if one has lyrics and the other doesn't choose one with lyrics
  • else if one has artwork and the other doesn't choose one with artwork
  • else if rating is different then choose higher rating
  • else if playcount is different then choose higher playcount
  • else they're equivalent and choose one to discard

So given your scenario, it will keep all tracks since they are from different albums, hence they can't be duplicates.  The Duplicate scanner is ideally suited to remove duplicates in the same album; for example, when you export a .m4a track as an .mp3, it stores the .mp3 in the same folder under the same album - this can be safely removed.

Thanks

May 2, 2010 at 1:07 PM

thanks - I also hesitated using iTuner dup finder since the algorithm was not clear. going to try it right now...