Automatic adding of new media

May 3, 2010 at 12:24 AM

I regularly use iTLU (iTunes Library Updater) in order to add new music and remove deleted files. However this scanning/adding process takes a long time.

Is iTuner quicker? Can someone explain to me how iTuner's automatic adding of new media to iTunes works?

I keep my files in My Music, outside of the iTunes Media folder - is that relevant?

Coordinator
May 3, 2010 at 12:30 AM
Edited May 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Adding new music to iTunes using iTuner is virtually immediate.  It does assume that you will be placing the new media files under the iTunes main library location as defined in the iTunes options.  iTuner maintains a constant watch on the entire folder tree under the main library location.  Whenever a new file is placed there, iTuner immediate starts importing it into the main library playlist.  iTuner cannot currently find media files outside of the main library folder hierarchy.

Note that if iTunes is set to automatically manage the library then it may move the media file from where you placed it and into the proper artist/album sub-folder.

May 3, 2010 at 6:38 AM

Ok, thanks! Is the ability to add a folder outside of the iTunes folder planned for a future release?

Coordinator
May 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Possibly (there's a donate button on the iTuner About box ;-u ..... I'm just kidding)

The production release of 1.2 will be out shortly.  This will have the first cut of the Options dialog.  This dialog will be extensible, allowing me to add various pages for different features.  So once this is in place, I'll have a single clean entry point for these types of features.

Thanks for feedback and suggestions.  I do appeciate it.