Higher memory usage than expected.

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:07 AM
Edited Aug 12, 2010 at 12:09 AM
Can anyone tell me if 32MB to 49MB of memory usage size is typical for an application like this? It typically uses more RAM than iTunes itself. That just seems unexpected to me.
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2010 at 1:03 AM

This is a .NET C# WPF application.  If you create a simple blank WPF Window with no features, you're already at about 50MB under .NET 3.5.  That improves a little bit to 40MB under .NET 4.0.  Of course this depends on machine configuration.   This test was on an 8GB machine so .NET may have reserved more than it would under higher memory pressure such as on a 4GB machine.

iTuner itself is not very large, about 1.5MB.  The remainder, and any fluxuations you may see, is due to your iTunes Music Library XML file.  While this XML file can be many MB in size, iTuner does convert that into "terse XML" via streaming to optimize memory usage.  So for example, I have over 15,000 entries in iTunes.  This equates to roughly a 20MB library XML file.  I compress that down in memory to about 4MB.

So really, it's the .NET Framework loading into the new process space that's the heaviest culprit!

I hope this helps.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:52 PM

I had no idea .net is so memory hungry. 

Thanks for your very detailed explanation. :)